I AM A RACIST

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 28 07:00:51 PDT 1999

digloria at mindspring.com wrote:

> i did say quite early on "we are all racists" charles repeated
> insistence that i'm deploying racist arguments and that i'm denying
> racism is really quite annoying. it deserves a cheap shot in response
> because it is a cheap shot to begin with.
>
> if you'd read one or two of my posts Carrol you would see that it is not
> the case that i either denied racism or said it was irrelevant.

O.K. Perhaps. Probably. I have argued with Charles a couple times off list that he takes too empiricist a perspective on questions, and in those posts from this thread that I have read I have noticed a tendency of *all* parties to

get involved in an Icarian (or Daedaleian) plunge into a sea of empirical data ripped from any historical context and without historical analysis. References either way to "Naziism," for example, seemed quite ahistorical.

> that whites ought to examine
> *whiteness* and the privileges it bestows--how it works, how it operates,
> how it is inscribed and reinscribed,

This is a whole different debate, and I've never quite made up my mind on it. For certain kinds of somewhat narrowly focused cultural analysis (those which use "culture" in an Arnoldian sense -- i.e. "high culture"), the study of "whiteness" is of great importance. It's been many years since I've read any substantial criticism of the novels of James, but I suspect that a study of "whiteness" in those novels would be quite fruitful.

But as a *political* proposal, my top of the head response is that it stinks -- that it gets people involved in the deepest trap of capitalist ideology, that to change activity it is necessary to change people. I see the Theses on F as proto-marxist rather than marxist, but the remarks on *revolutionising practice* (whatever philosophic critique they may be subject to) are fundamental to marxism and to all progressive political thought and practice.

But I won't try to follow that up at present.

Carrol