Thatcher quote

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 18:16:46 PDT 1999

Marta Russell wrote:

>Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (and new Blair buddy) said
>something to the effect, “there is no society, only individuals.”
>Can anyone give me a citation for this statement (and or correct me if
>I've got it off)?

Not a Brit, but:

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then to look after our neighbour."

- Margaret Thatcher, _Womens Own_, 31 October 1987

Doug