race & murder

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Apr 28 21:33:59 PDT 1999

From catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au Wed Apr 28 21:13:33

1999

>And hey: can we stop calling these two "kids" ...?

What would you call them then?

I just mean that by calling them 'kids' we're making this more of an issue about "the children" (if I hear Clinton say 'our children' one more time I'm gonna puke) than an issue about deranged sociopaths. Their actions were criminal and deeply anti-social; their actions were in no way shape or form 'child=like' ...

Calling them 'kids' removes at least some of the responsibility for their actions.

I would like to hear your definition of 'kids'.

I think 'kids' implies a kind of innocence or at least lack of accountability. "They were just kids!" "We have to do something to save the kids!" "If we don't pass this law, how will the world be safe for out kids?"

Bleah.

/jordae