US/Nato Motives

rayrena rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Apr 29 18:43:53 PDT 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Could it be that the current attack on Yugoslavia fits Sartre's
>analysis?
>That wherever U.S. bombers or infantry or CIA spooks go, it is really
>Latin America which is at stake?

I don't want to pretend that there is just THE answer--or that I would have it if there were--but it seems to me that the US war on Serbia (I guess now it's a war on Yugoslavia) is more about showing the rest of the world who's boss than any real, vital economic interests. Some of the other possible motivations that I have heard stated--oil interests, control of the geographical area linking Europe to Asia, making NATO an offensive body, etc.--seem somewhat dubious to me, or at least secondary to the bombing campaign reminding the globe of US power. Pushing around a foe that won't fight back, like Iraq, doesn't really serve that purpose. (Besides, Iraq has been an enemy for, what, almost nine years; it's time for some new blood.)

It seems to me, though, that the US aim is not to keep just Latin America safe from democracy. These days, the whole world is at stake.

Eric Beck