Matrix Redux

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Apr 30 01:53:47 PDT 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, frances bolton wrote:

> And it seems to me (although I am admittedly a newbie to the genre) that the
> AIs are always male, or at least male-presenting.

They are in the early 80s cyberpunk, true. Interestingly enough, though, William Gibson's later AI characters are increasingly female, nonwhite, and Third Worldized. But then, Gibson is the honorable exception, a great artist who takes his social responsibilities seriously -- unlike certain branches of the culture-industry we could name.

-- Dennis