Milton Friedman on Mexico

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 30 09:34:32 PDT 1999

Who is this guy and what has he done with the real Milton!?

Mexico was a success? Ask the people in Mexico. Don't ask the people at Morgan Guaranty. It was a success for the people who had loaned money to Mexico. But Mexican national product and average income are lower than they were ten years ago. Mexico has had a terrific recession. Mexico drained the internal economy to pay back these external debts. I don't think the Mexican bailout was a success. I think it was a terrible failure.

(from a Forbes interview) -- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique