The Cancer Stage of Capitalism

S Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Fri Apr 30 10:39:45 PDT 1999

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> I bought a book with this title at the weekend -- published recently. It's
> by a chap called Professor John McMurtry, and seems quite good. He's a
> prof at Guelph University. Anyone know the form? For one thing, where is
> Guelph?

Form ??? Guelph is in western Ontario (Canada). John is a philosopher and a Marx scholar. He wrote a book called _The Structure of Marx's World View_ an abstract structuralist interpretation. He also wrote _Unequal Freedoms_ which was published last year and is partly a philosophical polemic against neo-liberal ideology and partly an explanation of contemporary tendencies in the world economy. Sadly, his most recent work shows influence of David Korten and other like minded authors. In _The Cancer Stage_ he compares contemporary capitalism to the spread of cancer. A precis of the book was published in Social Justice a few years ago.

Sam Pawlett