Off List

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 30 11:26:16 PDT 1999

Victimized Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> The fact that you don't see anything racist about it says a lot about
> you!
> Its standard tactic, attack the victim for being over sensitive.
> It has nothing to do with the thickness of skins, it has to do with the
> color of skins.
> You don't have to agree, just stay out.

You forgot this juicy tidbit, from your personal message to me:

>You have a slave mentality. Love your Yankee masters in private.

So, it appears that, delicate though his inner child may be, our dear Henry can dish it out as well as anybody.

Since you just publicly implied that I am a racist, not only am I not going to stay out, I am going to go over limit to respond to this crap.

I just asked my three Chinese-born and -educated coworkers about Max's joke. None of them found anything racist, offensive or very funny about it. Also, all of them agreed that tolerance of crude humor and personal attacks is far higher in Chinese culture than in this country. Perhaps I should forward your advice re: Yankee masters to them.

Racism is a serious accusation. I am sick and tired of seeing it thrown around by people who should know better every time their oh-so-delicate feelings are hurt. It trivializes one of the most serious problems in American society.

> Yes, Spanishing speaking list are generally more racist without being
> aware of it.

We also like to kill bulls, sleep long siestas and dance 'till down. We are such a happy people.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique