US/Nato Motives

rayrena rayrena at accesshub.net
Fri Apr 30 13:15:56 PDT 1999

Michael Pollok wrote:

>> I don't want to pretend that there is just THE answer--or that I would have
>> it if there were--but it seems to me that the US war on Serbia (I guess now
>> it's a war on Yugoslavia) is more about showing the rest of the world who's
>> boss than any real, vital economic interests.
>
>I agree. But the more I think about, the more I think this isn't a rare
>motivation in the history of imperialism. It was pretty much the case in
>Vietnam, no?

Or Granada, Laos, and even Cambodia. And, you could argue, the US's various invasions and occupations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. (Cuba, because of sugar, is different.) It seems like war-as-example-making is as prevalant as war-for-economic-dominance. (Are we in the age of meta-Imperialism?) Look at today: Yugolsavia and North Korea as the former, Iraq and Colombia as the latter.

Eric Beck