Question for Max

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 30 14:08:20 PDT 1999

At 03:52 PM 4/30/99 -0400, Brett wrote:
>I was particularly surprised because on domestic issues they are quite
>liberal. It really brought home the extent to which people internalize the
>"US is good" propaganda bullsh*t. Even when they've already rejected some
>of it, the rest still has a powerful grip.

Perhaps. But I tend to view it a bit differently. Facing situations that have no direct relevance to their everyday lives, and little factual information that would force a diffrent interpretaion - people tend to rationalize their position in such a way as to make them look in the most favorable light. It is a simple face saving device. "We" are bombing a third country? It must be for some higher good. Thinking otherwise wood make many US-ers feel bad about themselves. And since there is no cost of holding such a position - either by risking one's safety, interests, respect, or by having to bend backwards to twist and ignore inconvenient facts - it is a good cope-out of a psychologically uncomfortable situatio.

A good example can be found in the documentary from the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. The Brits liberated the camp before the Nazis could "clean up" the evidence of their genocide - so there were piles of skeleton-like corpses all over the place. The British commander decided to teach the locals a lesson. He rounded up good German citizens living in the nearby town, loaded them on lorries, and brought them to the camp to show what was going up in their back yards - while the news crew filmed the whole scene.

What I found most surprising was the total shock these respectable citizens experienced seeng the mayhem. The shock did not seem to be faked - these people seemed to be really terrified by what they saw. That prompted my question: how come they did not know that before? It is really hard to belive that they were totally ignorant of what kind of facility was built in their backyards.

But unpon a reflection I realized they were, in some sense. They surely must have heard rumors, bits and pieces of information - but if they accepted them for their face value, that would put them in a really bad light, especially in their own eyes. After all, it was their own government doing that, supposedly for their own good. So, it was much easier to cognitively filter out and neutralize the inconvenient bits of information, and rationalize the situation in the usual, convenient way "the authorities know what they are doing, they must have their own reasons, there must be some higher purpose in it".

Of course, maintaning that rationalization was no longer possible when they saw the horrors with their own eyes.

I am convinced that similar rationalizations are produced by otherwise respectable people about this and other wars waged by or so-called elected representatives. The only way to shatter those rationalizations is what the Brits did in Bergen-Belsen - by bringing the vivid images of horror right before people's eyes.

Wojtek