Labour Party and the Unions

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Aug 1 21:10:54 PDT 1999

My continuing effort to get the bottom of LM . . .

In one place in your post, Bro. Heartfield says:

" . . . While the LP debated constitutional reforms, the Tories were laying into the working people. First the steel workers and then the railways were dismantled, and all the time, Labour would tell us not to do anything about it, but wait until they were elected."

This suggests some kind of support for nationalized industries. But later he says:

" . .. . cide note in history', was a sorry tragedy. It's central plank was a call for nationalised industries and welfare spending. The rationale was that Labour could manage capitalism better than the Tories, and that if we all pulled together, then British industry would get back on its feet. They just had no idea how repulsive the welfare state looked to most people then. Claimants were persecuted by snoops. Nurses in the NHS had their pay squeezed over and over again on the grounds that they were a caring profession. Nobody identified with the nationalised industries, least of all the people who worked in them. . . . "

which suggests good riddance to nationalized industries.

So which is it? Should Labour have supported them, tried to revive them, or proposed something different, and if the latter, WHAT?

Cheers,

mbs