70s English Youth Culture and the Labour Party and the Unions

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Sun Aug 1 13:20:00 PDT 1999

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:45:11 -0400 Eric Beck <rayrena at accesshub.net> writes:

>But I agree: I think punk bands that are not apolitical are mostly from
the
>left. But there is also the argument that punk, by its very essence,
was/is
>radical, leftist, and anticapitalist, regardless of the content of the
>lyrics: DIY, setting up their record labels and distribution, existing
>within and helping to create authentic subcultures, etc. Which I think
is
>somewhat valid, but by that reasoning rave culture and the religious
right
>are progressive also. I don't want to make that argument.

This is my major bone of contention with the contemporary punk/hardcore/Food Not Bombs/anarchist type scene. I personally don't think there's anything particularly rebellious about DIY culture. It's basically petit-bourgeois entrepreneurial spirit. I mean, we he-man Leftists are always poking fun at Greens for thinking that buying from a food co-op and using Working Assetts long distance is contributing to social change. So how come the punk rock kids get a free pass? Squatting doesn't do much other than offer a symbolic challenge to the notion of private property. And feeding homeless people vegetarian meals...well, if someone wants to do that, why not join a church?

>Which of course is why the Minutemen were the greatest

Yeah, even if the funky-bass and spikey guitars formula was ripped entirely from Gang of Four, D. Boon was still a genius.

As for your Fugazi story, I personally think that whole DC hardcore scene reeks of proto-fascism. At least, I don't THINK Minor Threat is being ironic in the lyrics to "Guilty of Being White," but you never know.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.