The New Constellation and the French Revolution

ken kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Aug 1 22:53:30 PDT 1999

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999 13:52:19 -0400 Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hey, speaking of standards of criticism, I was told, in the
midst of a vigorous dispute on the feminist economics list, that there's a very simple rule governing discourse between the sexes: "Please try to apply a single standard. Please remember that it's not ever okay to be hostile or sarcastic toward women...." Not ever.

> Doug

I would love to know what this means.

"You cannot be hostile or sarcastic because you must not be hostile or sarcastic!" (Kant)

"Evil consists in hostility for itself but not in itself." (Hegel)

"Hostility is dead." (Nietzsche)

"If I can't be hostile durning the revolution, I don't want to come." (Goldman)

"Sarcastic hostility is at the same time an expression of real hostility and a protest against real hostility. Sarcasm is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the sentiment of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions...." (Marx)

"The only sarcastic hostility that can claim to be sarcastic hostility is that which could meet with the approval of all affected in their capacity as participants in practical discoruse." (Habermas)

"The deconstruction of hostility is not the deconstruction of sarcasm; rather, it establishes as sarcastic the very terms through which hostility is articulated." (Butler)

"In sarcastic hostility, only the exaggerations are true." (Adorno)

ken, SOS

"the whole is stupid"