on the map & sennett

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Aug 2 07:32:40 PDT 1999

> Michael Hoover wrote:
> >so names of two major contemporary US parties have been around
> >since late 1820s (Dems)
>
> Doesn't this make the Dems one of the oldest political parties in the
> world? I seem to remember something about only the British Tories
> being older.
> Doug

some US political scientists/historians like to posit Dems, founded in 1828, as oldest party in existence, citing 1832 reorganization of Tories as Conservative Party...some suggest continuity of Jefferson's Dem-Reps and Jackson's Dems (and I think contemporary Dem lore includes both individuals) which would place origins at 1796 while others maintain that Jacksonian era built upon Jeffersonian one in introducing idea of mass-based party organization, thereby, distinguishing between two... Michael Hoover