Stupid Windows/Word Problem

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Aug 3 08:29:54 PDT 1999

> Oh come on now. Yeah, the computer industry is full of greedy
> bastards, and lots of innovation is just crap, but it's not as bad as
> you're saying. Mac OS 8.6 was an improvement over 8.5.1, which was an
> improvement over 8.5, and so on. The Sherlock web searcher,
> introduced with 8.5, which submits queries simultaneously to all the
> major indexes and sorts the results very intelligently, is a damn
> fine piece of software. You can wax sentimental about the XT, but its
> 10 meg hard disk couldn't even accommodate my fonts folder (75 megs,
> 1,184 files). Microsoft stuff is always bloated and klunky, but the
> latest Excel is lots lots better than the 1.x I started with in 1986.
> Eudora Pro 4.2 is a lot better than Eudora Lite 3.x. It's not all a
> fraud, fer Chrissakes.

Perhaps not, but it seems that the planned obolence to actual improvement ratio has increased dramatically over the last four years. Since Windows 95, to be exact.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique