back to 1835!

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Tue Aug 3 13:21:38 PDT 1999

> Now, we sure as hell don't want to be running surpluses if a
> recession hits,
> and I agree with Max and others than in an ideal world,
> spending the money
> on job creation and social services would be preferable, but
> given political
> realities paying off the debt and reducing payments to rich
> bondholders does
> not seem like a terrible thing at the time when GNP growth is high.

Nathan's point seems well taken. Given that we're living in a fool's paradise and there is no appreciable demand for spending on job creation and social services, what *is* the objection to paying off on the debt until the (ever nearing!) recession hits? Wouldn't this mitigate any adverse inflationary impact of deficit spending when the recession does occur?

Carl