Faking what democracy?

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Aug 4 00:08:54 PDT 1999

At 18:41 03/08/99 -0400, you wrote:

> Chris Burford wrote:
>
>> In the USA no politician dare take on tobacco capital or gun capital
>> lightly, ...
>>
> This is plain wrong. Most of the Democrats in the House and Senate
>do these things every day...

Thanks for comments. I wonder if these are more than gestures.

I am responding to the President's obvious caution about point scoring after each and every massacre. I also believe, and believe others believe, tobacco capital was behind his impeachment. Certainly the "Independent Prosecutor" is not independent of connections with tobacco interests.

I also I am responding to documentaries shown in England which argue that the reason for the litigation route being the main way of attacking these two sectors of capital, is because politicians fear to anatagonise major fund-givers. I also know of statistics showing that the tobacco companies fund Democrats to a substantial degree as well as Republicans, so neither party can forget the potential cost of their displeasure.

Overall I maintain that bourgeois democracy is a hidden system of class rule, much as we have to take it into account and defend bourgeois democratic rights.

By denouncing the "faking" of democracy in Bosnia, Jim Heartfield here, and Mick Hume in the pages of the "anti-imperialist"(?) Times, are covertly promoting illusions in bourgeois democracy instead of analysing the state as a means for managing conflict.

Chris Burford

London