Godzilla Resurfaces

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Aug 4 03:42:36 PDT 1999

Well, not really, but here's the rough economic equivalent: an excerpt from the Mitsubishi keiretsu's house organ, the Mitsubishi Monitor, which has an interview with the President of the Godzilla-sized Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi (the full text is over at <http://www.mitsubishi.or.jp/e/monitor/9908/INT.HTML>):

"Q: The Japanese government allocated a huge package of public funding recently to help recapitalize the financial sector and thereby promote renewed lending. You were the only large Japanese bank that did not apply for funds under that program. Why?

A: We didn't need the funding. We were able to raise sufficient funds on our own to rebuild our capital foundation. We did that largely by issuing preferred shares--primarily to Mitsubishi companies--by selling part of the ownership of our headquarters buildings to Mitsubishi Estate, and by selling a portion of our majority stake in Union Bank of California."

Scary. They bailed themselves out without even breaking a sweat, and they're not even the biggest keiretsu, either. I've got a map of the Mitsubishi group over at <http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dredmond/keiretsu.html>, if you're wondering what all the fuss is about.

-- Dennis