direct action

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Aug 4 07:13:36 PDT 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Remick <cremick at rlmnet.com>
>Oh Lord, won't you burn me a Mercedes Benz?
>My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
>Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
>So Lord, won't you burn me a Mercedes Benz?

Speaking of which, when Mercedes Benz got the rights to that song, it really took rock-n-roll commercial hell to a whole new level. It's bad enough to have formerly radical rock songs used in totally different settings to advertise commercial crap, but when the actual objects of satire and comment of the songs use the songs in a positive way in an advertisement, irony is truly dead.

Can we see Crosby Stills and Nash "Ohio" in the next National Guard recruitment campaign?

--Nathan Newman