our way of life

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 5 05:34:52 PDT 1999

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

>It's not like I want to read this magazine or anything.

God, it's awful. I read the "premiere issue," as it says on the cover, last night. Empty, dumb, and dull. And I say this as someone who liked Tina B's Vanity Fair - there was something new and amusing about shallow journalism done by smart people in the early 1980s. And I liked what she did with the New Yorker too. But this is just crap. The Hillary article is embarrassing, both to the author (Lucinda Franks) and the subject. Ok, Gwyneth Paltrow looks ok in a leather bra and a whip. But otherwise, hardly worth the $2.95. Of course, I sent in the subscription card, $12 for 12 issues. Such a deal.

Hillary's explanation of the Kosovo war is a beaut: "I urged him to bomb; I supported him. You cannot let this go on at the end of a century that has seen the major holocaust of our time. What do we have NATO for if not to defend our way of life?"

Doug