Darwin

ken kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 5 12:05:33 PDT 1999

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:16:48 -0700 Sam Pawlett wrote:

BTW - I agree with Miles... I didn't understand Ian's point and I agree with Tom that ev bio uses tape worm measures.

> You are confusing epistemology and ontology.

Two of the classic blunders of modern reason. The only "knowledge" we have is that which manifests itself in drives. The only ontology we have is that we can't know everything all at once.

I'm glad Pinker is throwing his jeans in the lake.

To pick up on Rob's question... the point of all of this is that we are social / political creatures in the midst of biological organisms. My original post pertained to a complaint that evolutionary biology is incredibly naive with regards to the affects of culture, language, and ideology - and Dawkins is an example. I suspect I'm in agreement with Lacan, that evolutionary biology needs God as a presupposition somewhere down the line.

ken