Brown Stuff

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Aug 5 08:39:34 PDT 1999

Hey Heartfield, what do you make of this? I'm looking for guidance here, as a 'brown' non-Marxist (like yourself?).

>From an interesting post by Louis on PEN-L:

". . . And what is the nature of this rightwing Christian conspiracy-theory monger's opposition to the scientific consensus on global warming? She says that it is an "earth-based" ideology rather than a "man-based" one. In other words, the ecologists are concerned with the planet as a whole and reject the idea that the earth is the gift of god to man, to do with as he sees fit. What an odd congruence! "Brown" Marxism and Christian fundamentalism both are hostile to the statement put forward by Engels in "Dialectics of Nature":

"Let us not, however, flatter ourselves overmuch on account of our human victories over nature. For each such victory nature takes its revenge on us. Each victory, it is true, in the first place brings about the results we expected, but in the second and third places it has quite different, unforeseen effects which only too often cancel the first."