Wages and Panic Buttons

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 5 11:16:00 PDT 1999

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Doug says that inflation hurts the working class. As I understand
>it, you have
>to make a distinction between the segements of the working. The most marginal
>workers do benefit during inflationary bouts from more employment. Others may
>fall behind.

You're attributing more certainty to my position than it deserves. I'm questioning the traditional populist notion that inflation is good for the working class. The evidence of the last 30 years in the U.S. doesn't support this. That's why I'd prefer to focus on labor market tightness, which is much more directly relevant to the balance of class forces.

Doug