Wages and Panic Buttons

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 12:08:10 PDT 1999

In message <001401bedf4e$9df90b60$5ef246d1 at epinet.org>, Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> writes

>One must distinguish between inflation resulting from
>singular events like the oil price spikes, and that
>observed in 'normal' economic periods. The 70's
>experience does not invalidate the proposition that
>as a routine matter, higher inflation is associated
>with higher wage and GDP growth. The recent two-year
>period in the U.S. is a welcome break, brief so far,
>in a much more long-standing patter of wage stagnation.

I'm not sure that the seventies stagflation can be explained away as an external shock (especially since it was US oil drillers who first forced up the price). If it were merely a contingent influence it would not have had the effect that it did.

I agree with Max's point that you have to look at different periods in their specificity. But doesn't that extend to mean that inflation in one period might mean something quite different from inflation in another. In the seventies there was a quite conscious strategy to devalue the wage bill by allowing inflation to take its course, a mistake that allowed industry to raise prices without corresponding productivity increases taking advantage of the loose money supply. Consequently inflation became a cover for stagnation.

-- Jim heartfield