Darwin

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Aug 6 06:53:00 PDT 1999

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:29:46 PDT ken <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> writes:

>Come on guys. Evolution doesn't need shit from god. If Lacan
>thinks so, he is out of his tree. Or in a more academic tone,
>could you please explain how god is required as a
>prerequisite to evolution?
>
>Chuck Grimes
>
>In the evolutionary porcess God goes unnamed throughout, he
>(always he) is literally omnipresent. An evolution that insists
>on deducing from continuous process the ascending
>movement which reaches the summit of consciousness and
>thought necessarily implies that consciousness and that
>thought were there at the beginning. It is only from the view of
>an absolute beginning, which marks the origin of the
>signifying chain as a distinct order and which isolates in their
>own specific dimension the memorable and the remembered,
>that we do not find Being always implied in being,

Sounds to me that you and Lacan are confusing with Darwin with Hegel but Darwin's theory of evoluion through natural selection is a non-teleological theory.

>the
>implication that is at the core of evolutionist thought (Lacan
>talked about this in the 50's - I suspect that some
>evolutionists have shifted from a teleological model) (like
>Gould's contingency plan).

Darwinism as such has always been non-teleological. Of course Darwinians may well differ as Gould and Dawkins on the relative importance of contingency in evolution but neither of them view evolution as a teleological process. And Gould is most insistent that there is no necessity behind the evolution of conscious organisms on this planet.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.