Darwin

ken kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 6 17:33:39 PDT 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 21:02:31 -0700 (PDT) Chuck Grimes wrote:

> What I am interested in is understanding the world and its
processes, such as both physical and biological evolution, that at the same time does not end in either of the above mentioned dead ends. And there is a way. It requires that you suspend your belief that there must be an explanation to the hole of consciousness, and suspend your conviction that evolution must always have a beginning and end--the comingling of telos with a sequencial linearity.

Excellent! Lacan's lamella, the Alien as pure appearance qua appearance, Kant's indefinite judgement, Zizek's theory of vampirism / sublime object of ideology, Schellings beginning before the beginning, Hegel's retroactive positing of the presuppositions, Marx's materialist subject without susbtance, Salecl's "I love something in you more than you" and Laclau and Mouffe's empty pluralistic democracy...

ken