Nietzsche a realist? What are you smoking?

Miles Jackson cqmv at odin.cc.pdx.edu
Fri Aug 6 19:29:43 PDT 1999

Michael Perelman wrote:

> I don't know much about Nietzsche, but did he write in The Will to Power.
> "there are no facts just interpretations"? If so, I would like an exact
> reference.
>
> --
>
> Michael Perelman
> Economics Department
> California State University
> michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
> Chico, CA 95929
> 530-898-5321
> fax 530-898-5901

"Against positivism, which halts at phenomena--'there are only facts'--I would say: No, facts is precisely what there is not, only interpretations. We cannot establish any fact 'in itself': perhaps it is folly to want to do such a thing.

"'Everything is subjective', you say; but even this is interpretation. The subject is not something given, it is something added and invented and projected behind what there is. --Finally, is it necessary to posit an interpreter behind the interpretation? Even this is invention, hypothesis."

Will to power, 1967 Kaufman ed, p. 267.

The more I read Fred, the more I question the originality of most of the recent pomo literature (e.g., Zizek, Butler).

Miles