Authenticity Crisis

alexlocascio at juno.com alexlocascio at juno.com
Fri Aug 6 16:42:37 PDT 1999

Some friendly advice for Jefferey St. Clair,

I'm not going to bother with the rest of your piece on labor, but for crying out loud, if you're going to indulge in snide remarks about college students working in the labor movement, have the good sense not to hold up your buddy Frank Bardacke as some paragon of blue-collar authenticity. He's an ex-Berkeley boy. You and I both know that a quite a few campus radicals infiltrated the workplace in the late 60s and early 70s after the implosion of the campus left, and many of these folks constitute the "left" of organized labor today. Not that there's anything wrong with that; in fact, it's commendable. But acting like the 60s infiltrators are somehow more authentic than the current crop of campus rebels is just plain ludicrous.

Alex union brat by birth and the grace of god

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.