speaking of Lafontaine

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Aug 8 00:59:53 PDT 1999

According to de-news, a german news digest (archived at www.mathematik. uni-ulm.de/germnews), Lafontaine has told friends he will re-enter politics after the state elections in Saarland on September 5th. His reasoning continues to evade me.

But on a more amusing note, while there might not be any difference Schroederdemokraten and the Anglo-Saxons on budget balancing or monetary policy, Germans still have their distinctive ways. Friday the SPD's family minister, Christine Bergmann, said she would introduce a bill to make prostitution legal so as to better the working conditions of prostitutes and allow them to sue. It may never go anywhere, but still, it sure is hard to imagine that under Clinton. Especially from the family minister, if we had one.