Darwin, Monsanto and Anti-Realism made easy

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Mon Aug 9 06:20:29 PDT 1999

Sam Pawlett:
> Many people have accepted that perception is theory-laden yet this done
> not throw into question the central realist claim that reality is
> mind-independant and objects exist independant of the mind.

It is hard to see how mind could arise in a mind- independent reality, or how objects could exist in it without some kind of objectification (what would distinguish or define one from another?)

The fact that mind exists and is observed or experienced (at least one's own) strongly implies that is is involved in whatever _reality_ may be, since otherwise one would have to have mind _here_ and unreal, and reality _there_ and mindless, which we do not observe.

Gordon