Nietzsche a realist? What are you smoking?

j-harsin at nwu.edu j-harsin at nwu.edu
Mon Aug 9 10:54:41 PDT 1999

Hello.

>Yeah, save your money and be smugly up to date: buy a dog-eared *Genealogy
>of Morals* and repeat the words you find there-in after the prefix "As
>(place any well-known French philosopher since Althusser here) has argued
>... ". Nietzsche didn't have a useful answer to the representation
>problem, and neither do the pomos. Well, mebbe Rorty, in his more
>pragmatist moments, comes close. His continuation of the idea that valid
>truth claims are the ones that currently seem to work ain't a million miles
>from Chomsky's idea of competence (as I think I understand it) and
>Habermas's idea of intersubjectivity - as Hilary Putnam has it "what is
>true depends on what our terms refer to, and - on any picture - determining
>the reference of terms demands sensitivity to the referential intentions of
>actual speakers and an ability to make nuanced decisions as to the best
>reconstruction of those intentions."

I don't know whether Nietzsche has a "useful" answer to "the representation problem," but in THUS SPOKE ZARATHUSTRA, Nietzsche stages/dramatizes his philosophy in the bildung of Zarathustra, the latter of whom is, by the end of the book, absolutely disenchanted with the relation of semiotics/linguisticality/representation to truth. Zarathustra begins as a Platonic teacher who "loves men" and has a "gift" for them. But he sees again and again that language, and pedagogy via language/representation, is hopelessly inadequate for conveying the truth he communes with (which ironically, is being proferred to us readers linguistically--does this contradict my points or point to a tension in Nietzsche?). IMHO, this moves Nietzsche in the direction of the solepicistic, disgustingly conservative, bio-geneticism that runs throughout his work and culminates in The Will to POwer. He is greatly distrustful of language/referentiality. Cheers, Jayson