THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Little Rock, Arkansas) ________________________________________________________________________ For Immediate Release August 6, 1999
- - - - - - -
WORKING GROUP ON UNLAWFUL CONDUCT ON THE INTERNET
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to address unlawful conduct that involves the use of the Internet, it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Establishment and Purpose. (a) There is hereby established a working group to address unlawful conduct that involves the use of the Internet ("Working Group"). The purpose of the Working Group shall be to prepare a report and recommendations concerning:
(1) The extent to which existing Federal laws provide a sufficient
basis for effective investigation and prosecution of unlawful
conduct that involves the use of the Internet, such as the
illegal sale of guns, explosives, controlled substances, and
prescription drugs, as well as fraud and child pornography.
(2) The extent to which new technology tools, capabilities, or
legal authorities may be required for effective investigation
and prosecution of unlawful conduct that involves the use of
the Internet; and
(3) The potential for new or existing tools and capabilities to
educate and empower parents, teachers, and others to prevent
or to minimize the risks from unlawful conduct that involves
the use of the Internet.
(b) The Working Group shall undertake this review in the context of current Administration Internet policy, which includes support for industry self-regulation where possible, technology-neutral laws and regulations, and an appreciation of the Internet as an important medium both domestically and internationally for commerce and free speech.
Sec. 2. Schedule. The Working Group shall complete its work to the greatest extent possible and present its report and recommendations to the President and Vice President within 120 days of the date of this order. Prior to such presentation, the report and recommendations shall be circulated through the Office of Management and Budget for review and comment by all appropriate Federal agencies.
Sec. 3. Membership.
(a) The Working Group shall be composed of the following members:
(1) The Attorney General (who shall serve as Chair of the
(2) The Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(3) The Secretary of the Treasury.
(4) The Secretary of Commerce.
(5) The Secretary of Education.
(6) The Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(7) The Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
(8) The Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration.
(9) The Chair of the Federal Trade Commission.
(10) The Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration; and
(11) Other Federal officials deemed appropriate by the Chair
of the Working Group.
(b) The co-chairs of the Interagency Working Group on Electronic Commerce shall serve as liaison to and attend meetings of the Working Group. Members of the Working Group may serve on the Working Group through designees.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON
THE WHITE HOUSE,
August 5, 1999.
# # #