Paleoconservatism

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Aug 10 18:43:27 PDT 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Jim heartfield wrote:

> Hold on a minute. The Prisoner was on mainstream television - I remember
> watching it as a child. It was funny and sardonic, but it was about as
> counter-cultural as the Batman TV series.

Watch it again. You'll never be able to hear the words "global village" again without a palpable shudder.

Actually, even Batman had some great moments. Sculpted men in leather, young boys in tights, performing ritual dances of danger and hidden attraction (Batman and the sidekick are always *tied up* or otherwise enmeshed in this eerie, anxious physical proximity during the cliffhanger fade-out) -- it's just chockful of Stonewall-era identity politics.

-- Dennis