Brown Stuff

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 11 10:15:24 PDT 1999

"William S. Lear" wrote:

> The goal seems to me to be
> to attempt to convert farming, much of it anyway, to more fulfilling
> work. Perhaps this is not possible, of course, but that is another
> question.

Like Michael, I grew up on a farm. Unlike Michael, the effect it had on me was to make me dislike any activity that involves direct exposure to sunlight. Even picking the red raspberry bushes we have in our back yard I regard as a necessary but unpleasant task justified only by its results. (I love to eat them.)

Primitive agriculture created arthritis (women on their knees all day grinding grain for the evening meal).

Carrol