abortion

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Aug 12 09:13:38 PDT 1999

>He's probably their
>spiritual leader, not just their labor leader.

Personally I'd like to keep those role separate.

> And
>even granting your point, would it have been, or be,
>better to adopt the pro forma position and take a
>chance on them all walking?

This is all academic, since the LP is in favor of legal, publicly funded abortion. I'm told that belief to the contrary has been encouraged by writing that has appeared under the byline of Alexander Cockburn. Doug

To the contrary, I'd suggest that as (if) the LP progresses, this sort of issue -- prioritizing issues, and dealing with the social/cultural gulf between the left and the working class -- will come up repeatedly.

I don't buy the spiritual/political separation either, but I'd rather fry that fish later.

mbs