file for unemployemnt on the net!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 10:51:32 PDT 1999

[Only about 40% of the unemployed are covered by unemployemnt insurance today, compared with over 60% in the early 1970s - but hey, it's the little things taht count!]

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:34 -0400 From: The White House <Publications-Admin at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov> URL: http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/199 9/8/12/9.text.1

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Vice President ___________________________________________________________________________ For Immediate Release August 10, 1999

VICE PRESIDENT AL GORE ANNOUNCES

GRANTS TO SPEED UP ELECTRONIC FILING OF

UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS

Washington, D.C. - Vice President Al Gore announced today $9 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Labor to 13 states for the development of more efficient means of filing Unemployment Insurance claims. The grants will enable individuals to file their initial Unemployment Insurance claims via the telephone or Internet.

"Streamlining this process will help us provide better support for American families while they are on the road to getting back to work," Vice President Gore said. "Bringing greater efficiency to states' unemployment insurance processes is a responsibility that we have to all Americans who have lost their jobs."

Six states are receiving a total of $5.6 million, provided under the Department of Labor, to automate telephone systems and eight states are receiving a total of $3.4 million to develop Internet systems.

The six states awarded grants to develop their automated telephone systems are: Alabama, $1 million; Kentucky, $1 million; Michigan, $1 million; Nebraska, $861,276; New Mexico, $1 million; and Wyoming, $751,000.

The eight states awarded grants to develop their Internet filing systems are: Idaho, $391,781; Kentucky, $500,000; Minnesota, $500,000; Missouri, $500,000; New Hampshire, $321,896; New Jersey, $276,807; Rhode Island, $397,240; and Utah, $500,000.

"This is the fourth year we have awarded grants to states that are making use of the new technology that will take us into the new millennium," Secretary of Labor Alexis M. Herman said. "We have received good reports from states already using automated systems and users like the convenience and privacy."

# # #