Iraqi child death rates soar

Alexandre Fenelon sfenelon at africanet.com.br
Thu Aug 12 16:42:53 PDT 1999

At 11:13 12/08/99 EDT, you wrote:

>>From the BBC and dedicated to the supporters of neo nazis. In a few years
>we will be sending reports on the soaring child death rate in the Balkans.
>No war crimes investigation will take place because neither the Iraqi kids
>nor the Balkan ones are considered humans by the "humanitarian bombers".
>
>elias
>
>elias
>
>World: Middle East
>
>Iraqi child death rates soar
>
>Hospitals say they are short of even the most basic medicines
>
>Iraqi children under five are dying at more than twice the rate they were
>10 years ago according to a report from Unicef, the United Nations'
>children's fund.
>

>The BBC's John McIntyre reports on the effects of the sanctions
>The report, compiled with the co-operation of the Iraqi Government, is the
>first survey of child and maternal mortality in Iraq to be carried since
>the end of the Gulf War in 1991.
>
>In what it describes as an "ongoing humanitarian emergency" the report
>shows a dramatic rise in child mortality rates in central and southern Iraq
>- areas controlled by the Baghdad government.
>
>Unicef estimates that over the last 10 years at least half a million child
>deaths could have been prevented.
>
>Preventable deaths
>

>Thousands of children are dying of preventable diseases
>Iraqi doctors have warned that many more children will die of preventable
>diseases unless sanctions against the country are lifted.
>
>Unicef says that other factors, such as Baghdad's delay in distributing the
>aid supplies it is allowed to import under a food-for-oil deal, have
>contributed to the problems.
>
>To make matters worse, the social and physical infrastructure of Iraq is
>crumbling.
>

>Unicef spokeswoman Anita Tiessen: "Half a million children who are now dead
>would be alive"
>The education system has been run down and figures show that children of
>educated mothers have a better chance of survival.
>
>Sewers and water mains are not being maintained, which means that some
>children are falling victim to water-borne diseases that were virtually
>unheard of 10 years ago.
>
>Stunted growth
>

>Food shortages have hit Iraqis hard
>Some sewers have collapsed allowing raw sewage to soak through the earth
>and into cracks in drinking-water pipes.
>
>The report also says that Iraqis are not eating enough and estimates that
>20% of Iraqi children under five suffer stunted growth caused by
>malnutrition.
>
>It adds that in the northern Kurdish areas, where the UN runs the relief
>operation, the number of child fatalities has decreased by more than a
>fifth.
>

>The UN agency says sanctions aimed at Saddam Hussein are hurting Iraq's
>children
>The report recommends that more money is needed for humanitarian aid.

> [...]

That's a good question for our cruise-missiles liberals -Is there any word better than genocide to name this? This led one to another question. -Is a UN backed genocide better that Serban, Turkish, Croatian or any other ethnic cleansing? -Is there something more pathetic than the humanitarian attitudes from imperialist countries?

Alexandre Fenelon