[PEN-L:9978] Campus Area Gentrification

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Fri Aug 13 00:38:47 PDT 1999

In light of recent Pen-L threads on urban questions, I'd would highly recommend an excellent new book called *Lockdown America* by Christian Parenti which I've just finished. It reminded me a lot of *City of Quartz * by Mike Davis except it covers all of America and has a bit different scope. Parenti touches on the political economy of US urban decay and gives a detailed,scathing and frightening account of "Zero-tolerance policing", the social control of "quality of life" campaigns, "Business Improvement Districts", disastrous urban "renaissance" projects like convention centers, stadiums and theme parks as well as the "broken window" criminology of James Q. Wilson and others. Parenti goes into the policies of Giuliani and the effects they have had throughout the nation. He also gives detailed case studies of San Francisco, Indianapolis and Baltimore. Perhaps most frightening is his account of the rise of private prison industry and paramilitary policing.

He argues that, basically, poor urban neighborhoods have become police states. The urban poor and homeless are obstacles in the path of developers seeking to create "urban hip" areas of the kind so effectively lampooned by The Baffler. Further, poor whites are the shock troops for the creation of these neighborhoods who eventually become the victims of them. The "scene" is created by poor students and "counter-culture" types who are then forced to leave because of rising costs (property values.)

Seattlites&Portlanders:

Recently spent a couple of days in Seattle and Portland and was surprised at how gentrified the downtown areas have become, especially Pike Place and Belltown (site of the original "grunge" scene) in Seattle and the area around the bus station in Portland. Very few people on the street compared to a few years ago. Have Seattle and Portland become targets for zero-tolerance/quality of life police campaigns or has the low unemployment rate decreased homelessness etc.? The old grunge bars like Crocodile and Lava Lounge in Seattle were looking very tacky. I didn't have the guts to ask whether this was a deliberate strategy to keep the rich out. Exit the tattoos and nose rings and enter the power suits strutting along proudly displaying their Nordstrom's shopping bags. Seattle still has an awesome transit system and a great jazz scene.

sam Pawlett