Brown Stuff

Fri Aug 13 08:57:25 PDT 1999

As Carl R kindly reminded me off list, I had in mind a University of Arizona, not Cornell, study on which a report was filed in the WSJ (5th Ag, 1999). Indeed Carl R had already called attention to it here on LBO talk.

From: Carl Remick [cremick at rlmnet.com] Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 10:06 AM To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' Subject: Monsanto's murky biotech outlook

... there is a piece in today's Wall Street Journal that reports on a new peer-reviewed study that finds GM plants could well trigger resistance problems earlier than had been anticipated. The lead: "University of Arizona scientists said some insects might be able to develop resistance to the biotechnology industry's new bug-proof cotton plants more quickly than expected. The peer-reviewed laboratory study, which is being published in today's issue of the science magazine Nature, signals that some genetically modified plants might become obsolete sooner than their inventors had planned."]