gentrification

Fri Aug 13 13:50:04 PDT 1999

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 08/13/99 11:43AM >>>

Is my impression correct? Is there anyplace in North America this isn't happening (gentrification)? Seems like in addition to the old model of suburbanization we've got a transformation of older city cores going on at the same time - a mix of concentration and dispersal that it's hard to describe in a single phrase.

Charles: Detroit does not seem to be gentrifying, though they are building some "palaces of chance" downtown. I believe the bourgeoisie are sort of hoisted on their own propaganda which has for so long portrayed this city as dark and dangerous. They can't get a massive reversal of white flight going because they have scared the suburban whites too much. Pity.

Black is beautiful.

Charles Brown