More from La Frontera...

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Fri Aug 13 15:38:52 PDT 1999

>From: National Network <nnirr at nnirr.org>

The following information regarding the hunger strike of detainees in New York was forwarded to NNIRR by the Coalition for the Human Rights of Immigrants in NYC.

AUGUST 10, 1999

Retaliation Against Hunger Strikers at INS Detention Center in Queens

Strikers Kept in Solitary Confinement While Threatened with Deportation and Forced Feeding

ONE HUNGER STRIKER REMAINS IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT

On Tuesday July 27, more than half of the detainees at Wackenhut Immigration Detention Center began a hunger strike to demand the INS follow through with their promise to review parole applications of detainees with pending cases for political asylum, and to improve the deplorable prison conditions. Their struggle has drawn significant community support as well as media attention over the past week. But over the past few days, their peaceful protest has been met by violence and flagrant human rights abuses on the part of Wackenhut and the INS. Wackenhut officials have decided to try to break the hunger strike by keeping the strikers in solitary confinement, denying then liquids in an effort to "up the ante," and threatenin them with force feeding and immediate deportation. All of these tactics violate the human rights of detainees. News of these abuses came from the last remaining hunger striker, a Chinese inmate. The inmate reported that solitary confinement rooms fit nothing more than a small bed and a toilet. There is no place to wash or to walk and no windows. According to this Chinese inmate, " I began to eat because I was told by the officers here that if I didn't eat they would force feed me with a tube tomorrow. I was afraid of what they would do to me."

Many other strikers have been similiarly threatened. In addition ot solitary confinement, several detainees are being threatened to sign "self-deportation agreements." These threats are coming directly from Mr. Robinson of the INS Detention and Deportation Office at Wackenhut. According to reports from detainees, several other detainees who the INS has publically characterized as riot instigators, have already been transferred to York, Pennsylvania for participating in the hunger strike. These quick transfers can happen at any time.Transfers have been a major factor in the high turnover rates in immigration representation for detainees. In addition, the transfers are often to far off, remote areas where it is nearly impossible for attorneys, friends, and family members to visit.

One hunger striker from Uganda remains. He is being kept in solitary confinement.Community supporters must act quickly. We cannot allow peaceful protests for human rights to be broken by coercive tactics which amount to the torture of those already engaged in hunger strike. How can we allow our government institutions to employ these measures? All the detainees ask for now is a meeting with INS District Director Edward J. McElroy to discuss parole, political asylum, legal representation for all, adequate translation, and improved conditions insdie the facility. Community groups are resolved to continue supporting this simple demand.