Afterthought /Re: Hoskins on CM/

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Sat Aug 14 10:42:09 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> I'm over-limit, but in fact it is the opponents to GM food that are
> closer to Lysenkoism, especially Mae-Wan Ho and Steven Rose in the Open
> University Biophysics department in England.

So opposition to GM food discredits their biology?

Rose is a one-time Maoist
> who holds to Engels' discredited Dialectics of Nature.

Discredited? By who? Why?

Both have a
> mystified conception of the unity of the organism that Ho uses to
> dismiss 'reductionist' Genetic Engineering.

How is non-reductionism mystical?

J.B.S. Haldane one of the inventors of the gene's eye view, the theory of kin selection and mathematical genetics, to the end of his life thought there was something to Lysenkoism (the inheritance of acquired characteristics) even though he broke with the CPGB over the issue and worked with and was close to the scientists who opposed Lysenko and were executed by Stalin. J.B.S. also wrote the intro to the Dialectics of Nature.

Sam Pawlett