ra, ra, ra

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 15 21:13:24 PDT 1999

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>I met and debated Cox. I think he's an honest boob.
>Alm is a journalist, so he would naturally take Cox,
>a high-ranking Ph.D. economist, as authoritative.

Max, I'm a journalist, and I think most PhD economists are charlatans.

How could an honest boob design the kind of statistical model of income mobility that Cox did? He stacked every element to show what he set out to prove. Either that's a remarkable coincidence - the honest boob interpretation - or he did it intentionally. And when confronted with a savage critique like Gottschalk's, does an honest boob ignore it?

The Dallas Fed seems like a hotbed of propagandists. The banner on their website has a tagline about the dynamism of free enterprise. What other Fed branch is so adamantly vulgar?

Doug