Believe it or not...

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Mon Aug 16 06:12:21 PDT 1999

WASHINGTON (AP) - The idea of Jerry Springer on the Capitol's ``senators

only'' elevators may make some in Washington nervous, but organized labor in Ohio is rolling out a welcome mat for the television talkmeister.

The possibility of a Springer candidacy for the state's Senate nomination came up at the Ohio AFL-CIO's most recent board meeting, and it was a one-sided, pro-Springer discussion, according to Dan Martin, United Steelworkers state political director, who was a participant.

``What do we have to lose?'' said Martin. ``I'd like to see him run.''

State AFL-CIO President William Burga said he doesn't know where Springer stands on a lot of the issues, but ``it's very possible, in my opinion, that he could win.''

``Maybe he would stir this party up and get people thinking that they could participate, they could run, too,'' Burga said from Columbus, Ohio. ``I think it's good that Springer's stirring the pot up.''

The possibility of a Springer candidacy was first floated by an old friend in Cincinnati, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman Tim Burke. If Springer decides to run, he would face first-term Republican Sen. Mike DeWine,

The idea of a Springer candidacy was greeted with dismay by Democrats in

Washington.

Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle said ``I think he is a joke,'' and suggested Springer would be unwelcome in the Democratic caucus.

On NBC's ``Meet the Press,'' White House Chief of Staff John Podesta opined that ``The one thing I could say maybe for Jerry Springer's run for the Senate, is maybe (his show will) get off the air. That probably would be good for the media environment in America.''

Rep. Ted Strickland, D-Ohio, said Wednesday that he would not appear on the same campaign stage with a candidate Springer.

``I would want nothing to do with him,'' Strickland said. ``He hurts people. He abuses damaged, vulnerable people for his own purpose. I think what he does with his TV show is despicable.''

Martin said his labor friends in Cincinnati remember Springer as a pro-labor Democrat during terms as councilman and mayor, and serious, though unsuccessful, candidate for governor.

AP-NY-08-11-99 1812EDT.

Tom Lehman 440-282-6015