Fwd: Re: Anarchism / Marxism debates

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 17 08:31:19 PDT 1999

[this was addressed to me rather than the list]

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:44:00 +0900 (JST) From: Brian Small <bjsmalld at sun-net.ne.jp>

Eric wrote
> Though Chomsky has admitted admiration
>for Orwell's early work, he has said that 1984
>(the "Orwellian" Orwell) is
>a rather cowardly novel because it attacked the
>official enemy rather than
>Big Brother it was written under.

Doesn't Chomsky also mention a Foreword or something, where Orwell says we can point the finger but things aren't any better over here. Orwell points out the corporate control of information in the suppressed foreword?

The Foreward (Introdution, whatever it was) wasn't published along with the novel.

Brian