From the Sinn Fein news service

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 09:11:56 PDT 1999

>>>>>> Riots follow Derry parade

A tense situation in Derry which began with Saturday's Apprentice Boys

parade deteriorated into riots in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Three banks, two retail chain outlets and several vehicles were set alight

by nationalist youths. Despite appeals for calm, young people were

infuriated by the actions of a massive British military presence in the

nationalist heart of Derry on Saturday.

In one incident, an RUC man in full riot gear head-butted his helmet into

the face of a man trying to leave a bar in full view of camera crews and

journalists.

Afternoon drinkers in Tracey's bar and Peadar O'Donnell's, two popular

drinking spots for nationalists, were sealed in by an RUC armoured vehicle

and riot police.

A man and woman came out of the bar and were told to go back in. But with

the door shut behind them they were unable. The man argued with the police,

telling them he wanted to go home. At this stage, the RUC men started

pushing both the man and woman with their shields and began to kick and

knee the pair in the legs and groin.

One RUC man then head-butted the victim on the face with his crash helmet

before arresting him and dragging him into an RUC vehicle.

Photographers trying to film the RUC assault were singled out for special

terror. The RUC revved their engines ferociously and propelled their

armoured cars towards protestors and journalists alike. Residents had to

push several news photographers to safety into doorways from under the

wheels of RUC Land Rovers.

Sinn Fein Councillor Peter Anderson accused the RUC of provoking serious

disturbances. He said the RUC in full riot gear took up position in a

nationalist areas at a time when it was clear that nobody wanted

confrontation.

"When asked by both public representatives and business people to explain

their presence they replied that they were there to prevent a breach of the

peace. The only people who were disturbing the peace of the people of Derry

today were the RUC and its cohorts in the Apprentice Boys, many of whom are

one and the same."

The spokesman for the nationalist Bogside Residents' Group, Donncha Mac

Niallais, said a number of events combined to create the atmosphere for

violence in Derry.

Describing the Parades' Commission's decision to force an Apprentice Boys'

feeder march through the Lower Ormeau in Belfast as "appalling," he said

the commission's ruling in Derry effectively sealed the centre of the city

off from the majority of its own residents.

"The RUC then compounded this by their press conference on Friday night, It

was a disgraceful attack on the nationalist community designed to create

fear and to justify the subsequent militarisation of Derry, designed to

create a reaction and camouflage their brutal assault on the residents of

the Ormeau Road," he said.

Mr Mac Niallais said that, during the Apprentice Boys march on Saturday,

Derry citizens found themselves under "virtual martial law". He said the

majority of residents had heeded an appeal to remain disciplined.

"However, we understand, given the terrible scenes of RUC violence in lower

Ormeau and their aggression in Derry, that some nationalists reacted

otherwise. We very much regret that our efforts were not sufficient to

ensure a peaceful day."

An international observer and a Sinn Fein Councillor have described how the

RUC carried out a "slow and brutal" attack upon a peaceful sit-down protest

on the Lower Ormeau Road on Saturday.

Eamonn O Dochartaigh, who was clearly identified as an independent observer

from the human rights group Action From Ireland -- wearing a t-shirt

bearing the word OBSERVER in giant print -- was injured in the attack. His

nose was broken and he sustained damage to both hands. The video camera he

was using was smashed.

He said: "When the police charged, I was on the pavement outside the [Lower

Ormeau Residents] centre. I was still filming. They came at me from behind.

One minute I was filming a policeman batoning a man the next minute I got

an almighty wallop and fell flat on my face. I couldn't move and I could

see police boots all around me".

O Dochartaigh was brought to the City Hospital where it was confirmed that

his nose was broken and that he had a whiplash injury to his neck.

Sinn Fein Councillor Tom Hartley who was also injured during the attack has

said that the RUC indiscriminately battered people off the road.

"Protesters," he said, "clung to each other as the front line of those

sitting on the road were brutalised by the RUC. As we held each other

batons rained down on our heads shoulders arms and legs. The RUC used their

riot shields to lunge into the bodies of any protester who was unfortunate

enough to be in the front line of those sitting down".

In the brutal three hour police operation, RUC men surrounded the

protesters on both sides and proceeded to baton them off the road, one by

one, in an attempt to break the human chain. Protesters were repeatedly

struck on the head and then dragged off the Ormeau Road to a side street

where the beatings continued.

Many RUC attacks were made behind a screen of Land Rovers, where the RUC

were "obviously under the impression that nobody could see what was

happening," said one Belfast reporter. "A number of officers lifted their

long shields off the ground and discreetly kicked a hemmed-in group of

protesters on the backs of the ankles and calves."

Gerard Rice spokesperson for the LOCC said "The police were brutal. It was

the worst I've seen, I'm relieved no-one in my community is dead."

The sustained attack led to a standoff between the RUC and protesters

outside the office of the Lower Ormeau residents group, with police

officers hemming in protesters and repeatedly beating them with batons.

Deaths were only avoided by the actions of Gerard Rice, who led protesters

to a side street were the protest continued.

At 8.40am, some three hours after the RUC attack began, nineteen Apprentice

Boys were allowed to make their supremacist display as their march was

allowed to continue along the Lower Ormeau Road.

Despite the presence of dozens of cameramen and journalists on the Ormeau

Road, it appears that a media blackout on the events and in particular RUC

brutality, was in force.

Media coverage showed minor scuffles between the RUC and protesters but did

nothing to highlight the inhumane way in which protesters were treated by

RUC men, who used excessive force. Although many cameramen and women did

film graphic displays of RUC brutality, most major news channels did not

broadcast these, opting instead to blame protestors for the violence.

Sinn Fein Assembly member Martin McGuiness slammed the actions of the RUC

on the Ormeau Road. "This parade should never have happened. The brutality

of the RUC against peaceful protesters on the Lower Ormeau Road in Belfast

this morning once again highlights the sectarian nature of the force."

-- Jim heartfield