gentrification

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 09:56:11 PDT 1999

>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, rc-am wrote:

>>the only mob who have ever tended to glamorise poverty are the
>>fransiscans and associated tendencies as far as i can tell.

'The values we support - modesty, gentleness, and spiritual development, for example -clash with the aggressive, egotistical and materialistic beliefs which dominate today's society. Our thinking is at odds with what can be seen as the religion of progress, a modern opiate of the people.'

Sandy Irvine and Alec Ponton, A Green Manifesto. 1988

"The connection between 'more' and 'better' has been broken. 'Better' may now mean doing with less. It is possible to live better by consuming less." Andre Gorz Ecology and Freedom, p 41

'New patterns of living will be required involving shorter and fewer daily journeys, more use of public transport, greater reuse and recycling of materials, longer lasting products and more efficient energy consumption.

'Where additional consumption is required it will often have to be in the public sector, on goods such as public transport, environmental protection and more efficient energy consumption.

'It cannot therefore be expected that the disposable incomes of ordinary, reasonably comfortable households in Britain will significantly rise year on year as the political system has come to expect.' Michael Jacobs, Politics for the Real World

-- Jim heartfield