Fwd: Re: Anarchism / Marxism debates

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 11:43:54 PDT 1999

I think any reference to Orwell ought to carry the public health warning: Secret police spy.

Orwell gave a lengthy list of Communist subversives to British military intelligence after the war.

Also on this list Adorno and Marcuse, in my view, though I know others would disagree. (I just found a copy of Paul Mattick's Critique of Marcuse, which is a real pleasure. Anticipates all of the Marxist arguments against environmentalism.)

I think I also read a report that Timothy Leary agreed to spy upon his associates to avoid a prison term. Does anyone know if this is true?

In message <v0421010bb3df30b94fed@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>[this was addressed to me rather than the list]
>
>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:44:00 +0900 (JST)
>From: Brian Small <bjsmalld at sun-net.ne.jp>
>
>Eric wrote
>> Though Chomsky has admitted admiration
>>for Orwell's early work, he has said that 1984
>>(the "Orwellian" Orwell) is
>>a rather cowardly novel because it attacked the
>>official enemy rather than
>>Big Brother it was written under.
>

>Doesn't Chomsky also mention a Foreword or something,
>where Orwell says we can point the finger but things
>aren't any better over here. Orwell points out the corporate
>control of information in the suppressed foreword?
>
>The Foreward (Introdution, whatever it was) wasn't published
>along with the novel.
>
> Brian

-- Jim heartfield