abortion

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 17 17:15:24 PDT 1999

There are in fact a good number of people (I'm one) who agree with Nat Hentoff on abortion; and they're not necessarily "very religious." It's as arbitrary to say that one is human only outside the womb as it is to say that one is so only with a low melanin count.

A poll of CEOs of principal corporations would show majority support for abortion. And few of them would be explicitly racist or sexist. (They want their daughters to "succeed" as well as their sons.) On the "social issues" these captains of industry would be solidly with "the left." What I want is a party that will go after the issues that the said captains have succeeded in removing from the debate, issues of the economy and power.

--C. G. Estabrook