gentrification

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Aug 18 09:45:28 PDT 1999

From sokol at jhu.edu Wed Aug 18 09:19:20 1999

The problem that most homeless people face is the lack of

effective social safety networks - psychiatric facilities,

rehabilitation centers, half-way homes, asssited living

facilities, social assistance etc. - mainly because money

is being pumped to police departments and prisons. This

problem can be solved by decriminalization of drugs, cutting

police budgets and redirecting the money to the above named

programs.

And I'm sure you'd get agreement from the police unions; my guess is that the police would love to get out of the business of providing social services for the homeless (a job they are neither trained for nor prepared for -- and yet forced to on a daily basis) in the same way that emergency room and trauma center workers would love to get out of the routine health maintenance business.

# "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later." # -- The Fram Oil Filter Man

/jordan